Here’s something that nobody ever believes about me. I have eaten, maybe, five Peeps in my lifetime. I’ll count these new Peeps Minis, which will soon be available year-round, as .5 each, bringing my new total to six.
I received the Minis as part of my latest shipment from Just Born (thanks Just Born!), in Sour Watermelon and Strawberry Creme flavors (the third is Chocolate Creme). Because of the novelty of not only flavored Peeps, but year-round Peeps, I decided to drag my tongue through the valley of artificial marshmallow and fluorescent sugar, just for you.
- Peeps Minis will come packaged like this, individually wrapped in a larger bag. While this seems like a good idea, it’s not. My Peeps were smushed.
- Not only were they smushed, they were rendered into an almost alien-like form. The green one looked like Slimer from Ghostbusters.
- Since I haven’t eaten a Peep in so long, I forgot how spongey and pillowy they were. That’s really it for that point.
- On the inside, the Sour Watermelon was pink. Cute detail! The inside of the Strawberry Creme was also pink. I’m guessing Chocolate Creme will not be pink.
- Strawberry Creme is actually not a new flavor since it’s used to make the Valentine’s Day-themed Peep hearts. But I still preferred the watermelon. The tang was just right, like a good watermelon Jolly Rancher.
- I’m a little disappointed with the colors. First of all, the green is too close in color to the actual, flavorless green Peep. And to complicate matters, there’s a flavored Strawberry Creme chick on shelves right now that’s speckled pink and red. A little consistency in the branding would be nice.
- Flavored Peeps are such a game changer it seems rather bold to both move forward with several different flavors AND these small-format Peeps at the same time. I can’t say that I would buy or eat these year-round, but that shouldn’t surprise you.
- Are people going to use these Peeps Minis to do crafts or blow up in microwaves? The answer is no. They are not very sturdy and don’t have the “personality” that regular Peeps do. Unless you like your Peeps to look like ghosts.
- Are people going to eat these? Are you going to buy a bag to keep in your candy jar? Are you going to shovel a few handfuls back at the local cinema? I actually don’t think so. One is enough. For like a year.
- Truth be told, I’m more concerned about what these Peeps mean to the future of this blog. Am I going to have to quit my job to keep up with all the Peeps on the market now?